THE HOUSE – MUSEUM GIANNOULI CHALEPA
The house where the great sculptor Giannoulis Halepas (1851-1938), lived is located at the entrance of the village of Pyrgos, along with the “Brotherhood of Tinians in Athens’ historic monument (1968)which was afterwards restored and enriched with works and mementos of the artist’s life, donated by his niece Irene B. Chalepas and others, while the Tinian Holy Annunciation Foundation donated to the museum later on plaster copies of his works, whose originals are kept in the museum of the Institute.
The Tinian Artists Museum
The Tinian Artists Museum of Pyrgos, is located in Pyrgos – Tinos alongside the Museum Chalepas.
The building previously housed the”Intelligentia Centre ” of Pyrgos. The first systematic record of the exhibits, was presented by architect Machi Karali, while the opening of the museum took place in August 1976.
It has the peculiarity of exhibiting, works by important artists(of Dim Philipotis, G. Vitali, John. Chalepas of Laz. Sochos) in the form of plaster models before the final artwork in marble.
THE MUSEUM OF MARBLE-ARTS
Founded and operated by the Piraeus Bank Group Cultural Foundation.
The official inauguration took place on 31.5.2008 by the President of the Republic Karolos Papoulias.
It is the sixth museum in the network of thematic museums of the Foundation, which aims, like the others, in highlighting individual elements of the cultural identity of the host country.
The project was funded by the Third E.U Support Framework and Piraeus Bank.
The museum presents the technology of marble and describes analytically the equipment and techniques.
The permanent exhibition includes several original works in marble (lintels, escutcheons, shrines, fountains, etc.) clay models and plaster copies and marble tools, mechanical equipment, archival material, and a rich collection of drawings of old marble sculptors.
Outdoors are exposed lifting machines, trolleys for transportation ,and semi-finished marble works etc.
PYRGOS GLYPTOTHEQUE – CEMETERY
The cemetery church of the Transfiguration is mentioned in the inventory of the Orthodox churches of Tinos in 1828.
It is located at the very end of the village of Pyrgos, beneath the Faculty of Fine Arts.
It is adorned by many marble artefacts(spire, skylights, etc.), with a gilded marble temple, dating from the mid 18th century.
Several of the cemetery tombstones bear a two-headed eagle, embossed cypresses and feature tools of the profession of the deceased.
In the newer part of the cemetery there have survived many impressive family monuments, works of Michael.Lyritis, Mich. Kouskouris, John.Filippotis and others.
THE PREPARATORY AND PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL OF FINE ARTS
Founded in 1955 it is the only school in the country teaching the processing of marble within a three year attendance.
Many graduates work as sculptors, restorers or in other related disciplines, and many of them continued their studies at the School of Fine Arts at the Polytechnical University of Athens or abroad.
It operates under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture.
On Its premises one can see works by students in clay, plaster, marble, as well as drawings and paintings.
It also stores up many former students works (sculptures, drawings, etc) that are not exposed.
That the school has a museum and wealth.
The workshop is open to visitors marble during the summer months.
Archaeological site at the “Straits” of Tinos – Agios Theodoros
It consists of a high wall built in a well structured system with sufficient height, with large local stones 13m wide and 1.20m high.
On It’s Hellenistic fortification work on which is built the church of Saint Theodore was constructed.
It is a strictly protected site from any form of intervention.
church Saint Theodore. Designated conservation area of the core of the site-strict protection of natural and human environment.
Mycenaean tomb at Panormos Tinos
The Mycenaean tomb is located in the area north of Pyrgos, by the church of Saint Thekla and the monastery of Kyra Xeni and represents the Mycenaean period in Tinos.
It was discovered damaged during the excavations conducted by G. DESPINI 1979.
It has a diameter of about 3 meters and a road east which is 2.5 m wide. In the Mycenaean tombs there were always many burials so Saint Thekla tomb contained at least nine of them.
According to the findings it was used essentially in the 13th century. BC, and maybe a while at the end of the 14th century. B.C as well as a short time in the early 12th century. B.C. It was a family tomb of an aristocratic family in the area, which used Mycenaean burial traditions for more than a century that practically lasted for four or five generations.
The pottery of the tomb is mostly locally constructed, but follows the technique of continental, Mycenaean Greece.
At the same time there are several Mycenaean pottery items imported from mainland Greece.
The few items that survived (bronze knives, tweezers, stone spindle whorls, stone, bone, glass, a necklace made of gold beads, and a seal) indicate a rich community in perfect alignment with the Mycenean world in mainland Greece.
The existence of a domed tomb in Saint Thecla indicates that the port of Panormos was an important hub.
The connections of the Mycenaeans with the major centres of the Eastern Mediterranean and Cyprus as well as the great sea voyages attempted were in need of safe harbours.
Consequently, the port of Panormos was a necessary stop for anyone sailing from the islands of the Eastern Aegean Sea to the Peloponnese and Attica.